Kyle MacDonald is on the verge of successfully completing a project that on its surface sounds nothing less than absurd: Trading–with the help of a blog–a single red paper clip for a house.
Since embarking on his house hunt last year, MacDonald has traded with people from across Canada and the United States and is now sitting on a year’s free rent for an apartment in Phoenix.
MacDonald’s trades have gone as follows:
- Paper clip for a fish-shaped pen
- Fish-shaped pen for a clay doorknob with a funny face on it
- Clay doorknob for a camping stove
- Stove for a generator
- Generator for an “instant party”
- Instant party for a snowmobile
- Snowmobile for an all-expenses-paid trip to Yahk, British Columbia
- Yahk trip for a panel van
- Van for a recording contract
- Recording contract for the year of free rent in Phoenix