Active Virus Shield is an AOL rebranded Kaspersky anti virus. Recently AOL stopped offering the anti virus and starting September people who installed AVS can not obtain signature updates since AOL do not post them on their servers.
Since AVS is basically a Kaspersky anti virus you can make a simple hack that will make AVS to update the signature files from Kaspersky servers instead of the AOL server, thus keeping your anti virus program updated with the latest virus signatures.
All you need to do is update your HOSTS file. Follow these steps:
- Open your file explorer and navigate to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
- In the etc folder you’ll find a file named hosts. Edit this file in Notepad
- Add the following line to the bottom of the hosts file:
- Save the hosts file and close Notepad
- Right click your Active Virus Shield tray icon and select Update in the menu
That is it. Now AVS will obtain the updates from Kaspersky server